Cemetery Church of the Assumption of Mary
Construction of the cemetery Church of the Assumption of Mary as a single-nave stone building with a high onion-domed tower dates to around 1625 and was executed at the behest of Vilém Alexander Oderský.
On 9 October 1860, however, a fire broke out during repairs to the tower and the old church, with all its interior fittings, was razed. The sole survivors of the blaze were the irreplaceable paintings of artist Ignác Günter from 1771 – his Stations of the Cross. These painting can be found inside the church today and have been declared moveable monuments. Rebuilding commenced following the fire, and the new church was consecrated on 29 June 1861. This last phase of reconstruction saw the aforementioned high onion dome replaced with the low pyramid roof that the church still bears today.
GPS: 49°46'24.008"N, 17°45'10.349"E
Link to map
Parish Church of the Assumption of Mary
The parish Church of the Assumption of Mary dominates the town’s skyline. This neo-Gothic church is the most beautiful and largest structure in Vítkov and the wider district. Its construction dates to 1910–1914.
A characteristic feature of the church is its use of local stone, which according to oral tradition was extracted when the foundations were dug. Despite the fact that the church stands upon a hill, the digging of the foundations released a powerful spring. The water was used during the entire building process, and the spring is still in operation today.
The church is cruciform, typical of both the early and late Gothic. It has one main nave with high rib vaulting. Alongside the main nave are two, much lower, lateral naves or aisles, each with its own altar. The decoration of the interior also draws on the neo-Gothic. The vaulting, painted windows, altars, confessionals, the Stations of the Cross ensconced in alcoves cut into the thick walls, and every other feature adheres to the given style
A priceless piece of heritage are the two church bells (St. Josef and St. Markéta). The bells from the main church are operated, as in years past, by bell-ringers and are rung not only to mark the church’s sacred calendar, but also ring out on important civil occasions, such as at the beginning of the New Year.
In 1994 the neo-Gothic Church of the Assumption of Mary, the statue of St. Mark and the adjacent municipal park were declared a cultural monument.
GPS: 49°46'26.889"N, 17°45'20.816"E
Cemetery wall and entrance gate
The enclosing wall of the cemetery is built from quarried stone, decorated with large, slate sabs, and together with the stone cross (high-quality masonry-work, dated 1827 by the inscription) standing in front of the church entrance, form part of the church grounds. The entrance gate is made of plastered stones and complemented by brickwork.
In 1730, repairs were carried out on the cemetery church and the walls around the cemetery. On the church itself was uncovered a large eighteen-foot-long inscription “Pfarrkirchen navicular”, while in the cemetery wall was apparently found a stone containing the barely decipherable date 959. Unfortunately, the stone has never reappeared since.
GPS: 49°46'24.195"N, 17°45'9.191"E
Stone cross at the church
A stone cross is set at the entrance gate before the Cemetery Church of the Assumption of Mary and is an exemplary piece of stone carving, dated according to its inscription to 1827. On a low socle stands a square pedestal, the front of which bears a relief of Our Lady of Sorrows with a sword in her heart. Above we find a further, needle-shaped pedestal showing a relief of the Passion, topped by the cross above with a three-leaf clover frame.
GPS: 49°46'24.195"N, 17°45'9.191"E
Statue of Saint Florian
A statue of Saint Florian is situated opposite the Catholic clergy house, close to the old cemetery church. The origin of this statue probably dates back to the 19th or even 20th century. Its erection probably has some connection with the founding of the local fire brigade.
The statue portrays a man in armour with protective shin guards. He is wearing a crested helmet. The man holds a banner in his right hand, while his left grips a bucket, emptying water upon a burning house beside his feet.
The statue is atop a high column, situated on a cubiform pedestal. It originally stood on Budišovská Street, on a site now occupied by a tower block.
GPS: 49°46'26.527"N, 17°45'8.128"E
J. H. Pestalozzi Monument
This monument to the eminent Swiss pedagogue stands upon a stone pedestal in front of the elementary school on Opavská Street. The sculptor was Josef Obeth, and it was officially unveiled in 1929 on the feast day of the Pentecost.
The statue shows a gaunt gentleman, clothed in the fashion of his day, gazing down at two children, one of whom raises an outstretched hand and the other cradles a doll. The sides of the statue are decorated with the reliefs of birds. One portrays an owl, representing erudition and foresight.
This group represents harmony, which is apparent in the gestures of each individual figure.
GPS: 49°46'39.584"N, 17°45'12.705"E
The park was founded thanks to the efforts of veterinarian Bedřich Hábl. Construction and planting were begun in 1901 according to the designs of the Horní Vikštejn head forester Roman Polhar in collaboration with the Viennese architect Dr. Arnold Karplus. The park was completed and opened 1906.
To mark the 60th anniversary of the rule of Franz Joseph I of Austria, a monument was unveiled in the park in his honour; it did not survive, however, the demise of the monarchy.
The park continues to offer visitors a pleasant place to stroll, relax and rest, and is one of the prettiest natural environments in our town.
GPS: 49°46'29.395"N, 17°45'28.097"E
Bust of Eduard Schön–Engelsberg
Since 1926, the park has been graced with a bust of the composer Eduard Schön–Engelsberg. It sits atop a stone plinth, which originally bore an imperial crown, subsequently removed in 1918.
The composer is regarded as one of the region’s important figures, who took inspiration from the locality. While his works have a religious leaning, they also exalt the beauty of the Silesian countryside and the composer’s German tongue. He also composed the German Song of Freedom (Deutches Freiheitslied), which was sung during that time throughout revolutionary Vienna.
GPS: 49°46'26.801"N, 17°45'26.880"E
Statue of St. Mark
The statue of St. Mark was created in the 19th century and can be found on the right of the entrance to the Church of the Assumption of Mary in Vítkov. It is carved from white stone and depicts a bearded man of middle years, holding a quill in his right hand a book in the other. He is dressed in a medieval robe, and by his ankles lies a winged lion. Carved into the plinth is the name “Marcus” with simply the date 1861 lettered in gold. The statue originally stood on the square to commemorate victims of cholera and typhoid.
GPS: 49°46'26.515"N, 17°45'20.488"E
This pseudo-Gothic cross, perched on a high socle of white limestone, dates from the turn of the 20th century and stands in front and to the left of the neo-Gothic Church of the Assumption of Mary in Vítkov.
GPS: 49°46'27.151"N, 17°45'20.391"E
Construction of the Panorama Cinema in Vítkov was begun in August 1930 and followed a design executed by Richard Bronch from Ústí nad Labem. Until that time, films in Vítkov had been screened in the lounge of the tavern U veselého Tyroláka. Later renovation of the cinema occurred in 1958 and 1982. In 2005 the cinema was declared a cultural monument by a resolution of the Czech Ministry of Culture.
GPS: 49°46'38.200"N, 17°45'20.353"E
Grave of Jan Zajíc
The grave of locally born Jan Zajíc, who on 25 February 1969 immolated himself in protest at the ongoing Soviet occupation, can be visited at the municipal cemetery. The grave was designed by the academic sculptor Olbram Zoubek and is marked out from its neighbours thanks to its unusual rendition. A sarcophagus stands on four solid spheres, and its lid contains the half-embedded silhouette of the fire-ravaged body. The face is recognisably Jan Zajíc. His name, date of birth and date of death are carved onto the leading edge of the sarcophagus.
GPS: 49°46'24.008"N, 17°45'18.267"E
Statue of Christ
The statue of Christ dominates Vítkov’s cemetery. Its pre-eminence is owing partly to placement, and partly to the exceptional talent of its creator, Vítkov sculptor Josef Mühr, who completed the project in 1905. The statue is cast in bronze. Today it is streaked with extensive viridescent patination and is in need of restoration. The statue portrays a tall, slim man, simply clothed in a flowing garment without other adornment. The statue’s face has a loving expression, with a tinge of sadness in the eyes. The slightly tilted head and outstretched arms illustrate Jesus’s apparent will to communicate his message to the people.
The name of its creator is inscribed on the statue, and at the rear on the base we can find the names of the couple Josef and Franziska Drößler, who financed the work.
GPS: 49°46'23.995"N, 17°45'16.008"E